Is Civil Engineering a good career in Canada? A hundred percent yes. Everybody knows that Civil Engineering is one of the most popular professions in Canada. Why is it popular? Because you can earn a decent salary package even at an entry level. It is popular because it can lead you to achieve permanent residency in Canada. You get to serve the society by building beautiful infrastructures.
So, what courses are required for Civil Engineering? We will be discussing this and a lot more in today’s article. Keep reading to find out the top 10 Civil Engineering courses in Canada.
Canada has many universities ranking in the top 500 list of educational institutes. The country is beautiful with greeneries and diverse environments. The Canadian people are welcoming who help you feel at home. There are endless job opportunities in the engineering field to improve overall living standards. The country is often listed as one of the most livable countries in the world.
Ontario is a providence with the highest number of jobs for Civil Engineers. Reports show that there will be 17,000+ jobs available for Civil Engineers by 2025. If you are from the Science background, then grab this opportunity as soon as possible. With proper research and hard work, you can get into a good university to study Civil Engineering. It will be a stepping stone towards making it big in this country.
We have listed the top 10 Civil Engineering universities in Canada to help you in your journey. There are many different programs to choose from if you are eager to work in Canada. There are sectors including engineering, architectural, and many other related services sectors. Let us find out in the next section what these programmes are and their eligibility criteria.
Also Read: How to Study in Canada (7 Easy Steps)
Post Graduation in Civil Engineering in Canada
There are two kinds of diploma you can pursue in PostGraduation. You can either complete a 2-year PostGraduate Diploma in Civil Engineering or a 1-year PostGraduate Diploma. You can also get a Master’s in Civil Engineering after graduating.
Go to your desired university’s website and apply online. Submit all the necessary documents to the application page. You may also need to pay application fees online to proceed to the next stage. Now, wait for the university to approve and send you an acceptance letter.
Requirements to study Civil Engineering in Canada
The eligibility criteria varies for different civil engineering universities in canada. However, there are some general guidelines you have to start the application.
- Educational certificates
You need to provide proof of your education especially, the most recent ones completed. Also, you need to pass the minimum grade and percentage requirements of your desired university.
- Scores for English language proficiency( IELTS/ TOEFL/PTE)
An English test is important wherever you are applying in Canada. You need to have proof that you have sufficient knowledge of the language to live in Canada.
- Some Universities may ask for GMAT/GRE scores
You may also need to sit for these tests and pass according to some requirements of Universities.
- Letter of Recommendations (LORs)
It is very important to get these letters to prove your credibility to Canadian Universities. You can collect these letters from your teachers and/or your employers.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
SOP is one of the most important parts of your application. You need to be convincing in your tone and provide sufficient reasons as to why you chose Canada as your study destination.
- Work experience (if any)
Any proof of past work experience in a relevant field will help make your application stronger.
- Explanation of gaps in education or in work (if any)
You may also be asked to explain any gaps you had in education or in work.
Best Courses in Civil Engineering in Canada
We researched and found some of the best programs in Civil Engineering including civil engineering masters in canada. All of these leading universities are top-notch in the educational field. So, let us find out your next institute.
- University of Calgary – PhD program in Civil Engineering
- University of British Columbia – Master program of Engineering in Civil Engineering (MEng)
- University of Alberta – Master program of Civil Engineering
- University of Toronto – Master of Engineering (MEng) program in Civil Engineering
- McMaster University – Bachelor’s program in Civil Engineering
- McGill University – Master of Engineering(MEng.) program Civil Engineering
- Western University – Master program of Engineering , Civil, and Environmental Engineering
- University of Waterloo – Civil Engineering program – MEng
- Concordia University of Montreal – Master program of Engineering
- Algonquin College – Graduate Certificate program in Civil Engineerin
Also Read: US Grading System for International Students
After your studies in Canada
Attractive salaries are waiting for Civil Engineering graduates in Canada. Reports show that the average salaries for these professionals range between CAD$60K to CAD$100K per year. There are many different roles in the Civil Engineering field in Canada. Some of these positions along with their average salaries from Indeed are mentioned below:
- Civil Engineer – CAD$70K+ per year
- Civil Designer – CAD$60K+ per year
- Project Engineer – CAD$80K+ per year
- Site Engineer – CAD$78K+ per year
- Design Engineer – CAD$80K+ per year
- Structural Engineer – CAD$78K+ per year
What courses do Civil Engineers take?
Although these course names may vary from one university to another, we have collected some important ones that you should pay attention to as a student.
- Fundamentals of Structural Analysis
- Basics of Civil Engineering in Construction
- Structural Steel Design
We are at the end of our article about Civil Engineering. We hope you liked our list of the best 10 Civil Engineering courses in Canada. You need to do some research of your own and select the one you find the best for yourself. Let us know in the comments how this article helped you find your way to Canada. Thank you for reading.