In this article, we will share How to get Germany student Visa. Germany has been a top choice for many people nowadays who are inclined towards moving abroad. The key reason behind this inclination is its excellent, world-class universities and better living conditions. However, let’s not forget that it’s not that easy to get into Germany and you have to meet certain requirements for this purpose.
If you are a student going for higher studies in Germany, you can not set foot in the land without a student visa. This article primarily focuses on German student visas; therefore, for students who are planning to enroll or have already been enrolled in one of the German universities, this guide is mainly for you. Keep reading to find out the detailed application process and other aspects regarding the German student visa.
Do I need a visa or not to enter Germany?
Please note that residents from all countries do not require a visa to stay or study in Germany. Do not apply for a visa if you belong to any of these countries named below:
- EU Member States( Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden)
- San Marino
- New Zealand
- El Salvador
You will be exempted from the visa requirement to enter Germany if you are a citizen of any of the countries listed above. However, if you are not, you are sure to need a visa to study or reside in Germany.
What is a German Student Visa?
German student visa is one of the three types of visa for Germany, which allows for long term stay in Germany, especially for educational purposes. This is applicable only when you are already accepted into a German university. However, if you still have not received a formal offer letter from the German university you have applied to or are waiting to sit on an entrance examination from the university, you can apply for the student applicant visa, which has a validity of 3-6 months. Additionally, language course visas are for German language courses which remain valid from 3 months to 1 year.
German Student Visa Requirements:
Make sure you have all these documents with accurate and proper information ready before applying for a German student visa:
- Completely filled out application forms(Two)
- Valid National Passport
- Two photocopies of the passport
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate(if you’re married)
- Children’s certificate( If you have children)
- Two recent biometric photos
- Proof of financial resources- There are certain financial requirements you have to meet if you want your student visa for Germany to be granted. You must possess a Letter of commitment/ Letter of declaration/Scholarship certificate(if granted)/Blocked Bank Account as a proof of your financial capability and coverage during the stay in Germany.
- Proof of Admission
- Previous Academic records and certificates
- A detailed and updated CV
- Motivational Letter/Statement of Purpose
- Travel Health Insurance valid for first 3 months in Germany
- Proof of English and German language proficiency
Please note that these are the core documents you will need for sure to apply for a German student visa regardless of where you live. You might need some other documents depending on your country.
How to Apply for German Study Permit Visa in 2023
If you have all the above listed documents ready, the application process is quite simple actually. Again, it might vary slightly depending on where you live, however, we would advise you to follow these steps and go adequately prepared beforehand:
- Find the German Embassy in your country: Find the German embassy located in your country, visit there and submit your application. Make sure to set up an appointment before going. If there is no such embassy in your country, go to a neighboring country and visit the German Embassy there. Alternatively, you can also apply at the application center from where visa applications are outsourced.
- Double check the required documents: Before your visit to the embassy on the scheduled date and time, make sure to check and review if you have all the necessary documents as instructed. You might need some additional documents depending on your country of residence; you can check the official websites of German Embassies for those.
- Pay the visa fee and prepare for the interview: The visa fee costs €75 and has to be paid in local currency. In most cases, students have to use bank transfer as a payment method since cheques or credit cards are not usually accepted. However, some countries allow for credit card payment or even demand draft. The fee is totally non refundable, so you won’t get anything back if your visa application is rejected. As for the interview, the key is to be prepared and for this, you can look up common questions online. Keep the payment confirmation proof with you during the interview.
You can Check: Denmark Student Visa: Requirements and Application
Processing time for German Student visa:
The processing time usually takes up to 25 days, however it can extend up to 2-3 months in certain cases. There is no definite processing time, it varies depending on your country and the German Embassy there. For scholarship recipients such as DAAD scholarship receiving students , the processing time becomes significantly reduced. In any case, it is always advised to apply as early as possible.
Validity of the German Student visa:
The student visa is usually valid for 3 months to 6 months at most. In this time, the student must arrive in Germany and finish necessary procedures, followed by applying for a residence permit. The residence permit is valid for as long as you’re studying there, and can be extended as well if needed.
Can I work during the study program with the visa?
You can work during your study in Germany, however you are limited to work for 120 days or part-time for 240 days per year. You are also not allowed to sign long term contracts.
Can I stay in Germany after finishing the study program?
You can apply to extend your residence permit for 18 months if you want to look for a job after completing your studies. If you manage to get employed, you need to apply for a German Employment Residence Permit.
We hope this guide will help you to satisfy your queries regarding applying for the German student visa. We would advise all candidates to be well prepared and stay updated regularly with information from official sources.We wish good luck to all the potential candidates of this year.
FAQ: Germany Student Visa
What is a German Student Visa?
A German Student Visa is a permit that allows international students to study in Germany for a certain time.
How do I apply for a German Student Visa?
You need to submit your application at your country’s German embassy with necessary documents like an offer letter from university, financial evidence, health insurance, and a valid passport.
What’s the validity of a German Student Visa?
The visa’s validity remains up to your program duration and can be extended for permanent stay and job purposes.
How long does the application process take?
The processing time differs from one country to another, thus it’s best to apply as soon as possible, possibly three months before departure.
Is there any German language requirement for the visa?
It is not always mandatory, however it is a plus if your program is being taught in mixed or specifically in german language.
Can I extend my German Student Visa?
Yes, you can extend your visa permit if the program you’re enrolled in is taking longer than expected to finish. Just make sure to apply before the current validity of the visa expires.
What happens if my visa application is rejected?
If your visa application is rejected, you will be notified of its reasons and you can always make an appeal based on it